Wednesday, March 30, 2011

For Your Consideration...

Greetings fellow music lovers!  In a world of increasing technology and social networking, I thought I'd put my opinions about music on the world wide web for your consideration.  As a music teacher and a lover of music, I've found myself exploring lots of music.  I love the power of Beethoven's Fifth Symphony and get chills every time I hear the Lacrymosa from Mozart's Requiem.  I also think Miles Davis was a musical genius and I could listen to a different Miles album every day of the week.  And you know what, Cee Lo Green is pretty good too.  When I'm in the mood for bluegrass, I'll listen to Yonder Mountain Sting Band, or The Punch Brothers, or Bela Fleck in one of his many musical projects.  And that is only scratching the surface of what I find myself listening to.  Hip-hop, rock, funk, blues, reggae, folk, r&b, soundtracks, crooners, indie, broadway, soul, and world music are also represented in my collection.  And a few bands that play them all.  My musical preferences seem to change with my moods, sometimes by the hour.  Currently, I'm listening to the LOST soundtrack in my car (while simultaneously trying not to get lost).  You would probably think my iPod is bipolar or schizophrenic when I put it on shuffle.  And that's the way I like it.


When Jeff Coffin was giving a clinic at my school a few weeks ago (which was awesome, by the way), he asked the students what kind of jazz musicians they listened to.  I sat there cringing as students struggled to answer beyond one or two names.  Only three or four hands were raised when asked, "Who has heard of Charlie Parker?"  Sigh.  I realized that we are sometimes so busy teaching notes and rhythms preparing for concerts that we forget about the other stuff.  So I'm going to branch out a little bit here to expose you to sometimes important, sometimes moving, sometimes controversial, sometimes good, sometimes great, and sometimes unknown music.


I challenge you as the reader to check out the music I will suggest with an open ear and an open mind.  Will you like all of it?  Probably not.  Is that ok?  Sure.  But just like Mom used to say when trying new vegetables - "You won't know if you like it unless you try it."  Do you only listen to what the radio tells you to?  There's a much bigger musical world out there!

I promise I'll try some new stuff too.  Maybe I'll even give Justin Bieber an honest listen.

Stay tuned for the first real post about music.  For now, enjoy the 10 links I've shared with you to get started.

Bach was cooler than Bieber.


No comments:

Post a Comment