Sunday, May 22, 2011

Bob Marley - Legend

A few days ago was the 30th anniversary of Bob Marley's death, so I thought it would be fitting to pay tribute to this legend in today's post.  One of my favorite albums for years now has been "Legend' by Bob Marley and the Wailers.  It is filled with timeless music - classics that many people have heard at least once.  Even though it was recorded before I was even born, the music still speaks to the issues going on in our world today.  It doesn't sound old fashioned.  I love listening to it in the car while I am cruising in the summer with the windows down.



My first exposure to reggae music was probably when the movie "Cool Runnings" came out in 1993.  If you've never seen this movie, you must.  The majority of the soundtrack was reggae tunes, which was fitting for a movie about the Jamaican bobsled team.  Bob Marley himself was not included in the soundtrack, but one of his songs, "Stir It Up," was.  I specifically remember buying the soundtrack on CD (years before iTunes was around) because I enjoyed the reggae music I had now heard.  Even though the name Bob Marley still wasn't on my radar, his music was.  I can't pinpoint when I actually learned about Bob, but it would be a few years after this - probably in my later high school years.



Marley is a rastafarian, which is a popular religion in Jamaica.  Rastafarians grow their hair in dreadlocks and smoke marijuana.  It's part of their beliefs.  There's other stuff too, but that's why he is often pictured smoking.  I'm not advocating this at all, but it is important to note that this was his religion.  You can appreciate his music without sharing the same belief system or being a "stoner."  Now that we've taken care of the elephant in the room (so to speak), let's get back to the music.



"Three Little Birds" is a simple tune, but is truly a joyful song that can make you feel better about anything.  I'm sure you've heard it before.  Here are the lyrincs to the chorus:

"Don't worry about a thing,

'Cause every little thing gonna be all right.

Singin': "Don't worry about a thing,

'Cause every little thing gonna be all right!"


"Get Up, Stand Up" is somewhat of a protest song.  Many of his lyrics are political in nature, and this song is probably his most famous.  Most people listen to this song without really paying attention to the words.  Give this one a close listen, and you'll see that it is actually very relevant with the political climate of our world today.


If you've ever been to a Philadelphia Phillies game, then you've heard another Marley song, maybe without even realizing it.  Every time Shane Victorino comes up to the plate to bat, "Buffalo Soldier" is played over the PA system.  I can only assume it is becasue Victorino is also a big Bob Marley fan.


"Jammin'" is another one of my favorite Marley songs.  It's just about enjoying the music and how the music is more powerful than any religious or political persecution.  Take a look at the religious and political undertones of the song:


Ooh, yeah; well,All right!

We're jammin'

I wanna jam it wid you.

We're jammin', jammin',

And I hope you like jammin', too.



Ain't no rules, ain't no vow, we can do it anyhow

I and I will see you through,

'Cause everyday we pay the price

we are the living sacrifice

jammin' till the jam is through



We're jammin' -

To think that jammin' was a thing of the past;

We're jammin',

And I hope this jam is gonna last.



No bullet can stop us now, we neither beg nor we won't bow;

Neither can be bought nor sold.

We all defend the right; Jah - Jah children must unite:

Your life is worth much more than gold.



We're jammin' (jammin', jammin', jammin')

And we're jammin' in the name of the Lord;

We're jammin' (jammin', jammin', jammin'),

We're jammin' right straight from Yah.



Yeh! Holy Mount Zion;

Holy Mount Zion:

Jah sitteth in Mount Zion

And rules all creation.



Yeah, we're - we're jammin' (wotcha-wa),

Wotcha-wa-wa-wa, we're jammin' (wotcha-wa),

See, I wanna jam it wid you

We're jammin' (jammin', jammin', jammin')

I'm jammed: I hope you're jammin', too.



Jam's about my pride and truth I cannot hide

To keep you satisfied.

True love that now exist is the love I can't resist,

So jam by my side.



We're Jammin' (jammin', jammin', jammin'), yeah-eah-eah!

I wanna jam it wid you.

We're jammin', we're jammin', we're jammin', we're jammin',

We're jammin', we're jammin', we're jammin', we're jammin';

Hope you like jammin', too.

We're jammin', we're jammin' (jammin'),

We're jammin', we're jammin' (jammin').

I wanna (I wanna jam it wid you) - I wanna -

I wanna jam wid you now.

Jammin', jammin' (hope you like jammin' too).

Eh-eh! I hope you like jammin', I hope you like jammin',

'Cause (I wanna jam it wid you). I wanna ... wid you.

I like - I hope you - I hope you like jammin', too.

I wanna jam it;

I wanna jam it.


"One Love" has been used in commercials for Jamaica.  It doesn't take much more than a Bob Marley tune and pictures of palm trees and beautiful beaches to entice someone to travel to Jamaica.  Of course they don't show the slums of this impoverished country, but that's for another time.  Here are the lyrics of the chorus:
One Love! One Heart!

Let's get together and feel all right.

Hear the children cryin' (One Love!);

Hear the children cryin' (One Heart!),

Sayin': give thanks and praise to the Lord and I will feel all right;

Sayin': let's get together and feel all right. Wo wo-wo wo-wo!


There are just too many great songs to discuss in detail here, but some of my other favorites include:
No Woman No Cry
Waiting In Vain


If you enjoy the music of Bob Marley, be sure to check out some other reggae greats such as Peter Tosh, Burning Spear, Jimmy Cliff, and Toots & The Maytals.  Bob Marley's sons Ziggy Marley and Damian Marley are also carrying on the tradition of their father today.  His backing band "The Wailers" are also still playing today.  I have seen them once before, and they put on a great show.


His impact on both music and culture can not be denied.  Many musicians today (even non-reggae musicians) claim Bob Marley as one of their biggest influences.  His spirit, his message, and his music live on today.

No comments:

Post a Comment